Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Voo Doo Science, Then and Now


 

I realized today that even though I'm approaching (too rapidly) the end of my seventh decade on this planet, I am no closer to understanding some aspects of human nature than I was at twelve.  Then upon further reflection, I came to the conclusion that some people and things make just as little sense and are just as screwed up now as I thought  they were when I was twelve.  Over the next as of yet undetermined period, I will occasionally look closer at some of these issues. I guess it's sort of channeling my inner Andy Rooney, and since he has passed, maybe the mantle of curmudgeonry(?)  has fallen to me.  I will probably publish these in FaceBook as a series of monographs and in my blog as well.

1.            When I was a kid, cigarettes were jokingly referred to as "coffin nails" and we smoked them anyway, as did our fathers before us. If we had some sense of cigarettes being harmful in some manner, why did so many bright people start and/or continue smoking? A recent short film I saw sheds some light on what I already knew to be the history of Tobacco.  During WWII American tobacco companies (and to be fair, the Coca Cola Corporation) seized on GIs being away from home and overseas to cloak their mercenary zeal in patriotism. "Lucky Strike Goes to War" was a popular print ad, showing  two smokes, packed  in a small khaki cardboard box,  that were actually put in every pack of rations sent overseas.  Citing a patriotic motive, R.J. Reynolds and others used the opportunity to get a generation of Americans (my dad's generation) addicted to cigarettes  and it worked!

                My father and others,  either pipe smokers or nonsmokers, came home to a post war advertising frenzy aimed at selling newly available consumer goods as well as,  now in more demand than ever, cigarettes.  Cigarettes were ubiquitous, in film, print media, radio, and very soon in the new advertisers' midnight  fantasy -  television.  Any legitimate attempts  to focus  on  health issues  related to tobacco were blunted by the psuedo- science Marshall Institute, retained by the tobacco industry to cast doubt on the real hard truths emerging from the emphysema, lung cancer and heart disease spikes seen in post war America. The Marshall institute's agenda was not to disprove the harmful effects of tobacco, as that is impossible.  Instead, men in white lab coats and movie stars, John Wayne, who lost a lung to cancer among them,  shilled for Big Tobacco, ballyhooing tobacco as a nerve calmer, which would help you concentrate, and declaring that "Four out of five doctors smoke Camels."  What the Marshall Institute was paid huge bucks to do was not to disprove real health claims, but to just cast doubt on the hard science emerging in the 1960s and 70s regarding the real costs of smoking. It must have worked, since I remember my dad sending me to the store for a pack of Winstons and with the change left from the quarter, I could buy myself a popsicle! Hell, if it was ok for dad, why not. I became a smoker at 12, as did many baby boomers. Of course I smoked Winstons, just like Dad.  (I quit at 30) For a brief period, The Marshall Institute was also retained by big chemical companies in a losing cause trying to keep DDT afloat as the wonder insecticide.

As we know now,  the smoke and mirrors only worked for so long, and the image of the sophisticated smoker in films, print and TV  is essentially gone today, and curiously the bulk of the smoking population in America is now made up of lower economic classes (who will now spend $300 per month or more on their habit) and those hard case addicts who will smoke until the last raspy breath is gone. Tobacco companies now are primarily pushers, servicing a seedy market. Likewise Rachel Carson fought the good fight and DDT is no longer sprayed over entire neighborhoods like sunscreen.

                Why, you say, am I rehashing this information? Well, the Marshall Institute is still at work, now hired by America's giant energy companies, and their mandate is still the same. Cast doubt in any way possible to blunt the thrust of the mass of real scientific data on global warming. Their philosophy is the same, as well "we don't have to disprove or prove anything, that's for real scientists, we just have to plant the seeds of doubt."  This approach also manifests itself in such bizarre areas as "Creation Science and "Intelligent Design," neither of which is scientific  or intelligent.  As long as we remain a nation where superstition trumps data, we are hindered in our efforts to become an educated and aware society.  It's bad enough that China, a major polluter, is aware but apparently doesn't care, but at least they aren't in a religion induced coma of denial.        

No comments:

Post a Comment