Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Disabled from the back drop skull crusher?



As yesterday's blog and post clearly indicate, I am not a fan of Walmart, and I firmly believe that if they advertise "low price matching" they should abide by that policy. Having said that, I wondered about the "disability" of the behemoth who is at the center of attention here.
 
 
 
 
 
As it happens he is "disabled" from continuing his career as a professional wrestler - period. He isn't mentally handicapped, or unable to do most ordinary work. The use of the word "disabled" makes... Walmart's actions sound even worse than they are, but it is understandable that an employee might be threatened by an unhappy 300 pound man mountain.

I guess what bothers me is that the word disabled seems to be applied more and more to persons who are totally capable of earning a living, but either choose or are allowed to claim disability instead and live on someone else's dollar. My late father in law couldn't walk from the age of three, but would have been mortified to take public money or consider himself disabled. By contrast, Joe Cantrell is only disabled to the extent that he can no longer sustain a career as a professional wrestler.

We are bombarded by ads for attorneys urging you to come see them and they will get you "disability." There is a huge difference between genuine disability (whatever the origin) and simple unwillingness to suck it up and even retrain if necessary and work. Disability and workman's comp, originally an absolute necessity in my opinion, have become increasingly corrupted by persons seeking a continuing income without continuing effort. I would write more, but I have an appointment with my attorney, who says he can get me declared disabled for my job as an NBA center, as I have "white men can't jump" syndrome and am 71 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment