Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year's rant!

      As usual, while doing the crossword puzzle this morning, I had Good Morning America on in the background. Yeah, ABC is a Disney subsidiary and you get a lot of promos for their product, but overall, I love the cast and format. They manage to make Today's cast seem bland and "stick in the muddish" by comparison.

        As I was half listening, half cursing under my breath (the Friday puzzle is a bitch!), I heard the name Joel Osteen, and they cut to a pre-taped Robin Roberts segment with this shill and scam artist extraordinaire. After about three words from his recently medically sculpted face I felt like I needed another shower! What a smarmy, sorry piece of work this man is.  Every word was a platitude, and a tenth grader could have written his banal, trite and meaningless message. In other words, he was consistent with every other televangelist ever.


         What saddens me even more, on reflection, is that people who can't afford to do so send him and his ilk lots of their money. It reminds me of a line from one of the truly great western films  of all time - The Magnificent Seven. In the film, ,  the bandit Calvera, played superbly by master character actor Eli Wallach, says of the small border town he terrorizes and extorts: " If God didn't want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep."  Come to think of it - televangelist/Mexican bandit?...the only difference is the gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment