Friday, August 10, 2012

Garbage in, garbage out!


I remember when TLC (the learning channel) used to produce and air meaningful television. That illusion is dead and the decision that killed it is the decision to show the "Honey Boo-Boo show." For those of you fortunate enough to have no idea regarding the subject of this rant, warning: save yourself and look no further. This "show" apparently features a thoroughly repulsive six year old troll from Georgia and her equally grotesque supporting cast of inbred family members. My introduction to this was my inadvertent following of an "interesting" link on my news page that took me to "Toddlers and Tiaras," a show exploiting the already exploitative world of child beauty pageants. One of the most pathetic of the contestants profiled is the previously mentioned young girl and her mother. I will not post a link because I'm only one more viewing from going over the edge, but if you must, Google "Honey Boo Boo" You have been warned!

Pundits lament America's 27th place academic standing in the world. All the conservatives, of course blame teacher's unions (for not teaching them "Creation 'Science' " ???!!!). What arrant bullshit! When kids come to school having been raised on mindless garbage, real education becomes very difficult. The dumbing down of America begins at home, not in the classroom. The same advertisers who pay the pundits and critics cultivate the cult of the mind numbingly stupid and vacuous with tripe such as "Honey Boo-Boo," Jersey Shore," "Hill Billy Hand Fishin'", and the like. Really?? This is all you got? When more of my students knew Snookie and every datum related to things Kardashian than knew anyone on the Supreme Court, I smelled decay in the wind. I recently downloaded and am re-watching the BBC series "Civilisation - A Personal Perspective with Kenneth Clark." We certainly have come a long way in the wrong direction since its original airing. I lament the loss of programming of this kind. I'd write more, but it's time for The Bristol Palin Show; this week she's going to demonstrate how to become a media personality without even a vestige of discernible talent other than fecundity. And I do believe that's all I have to say about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment