Thursday, June 6, 2013

Speech Therapy


Many, including me, have written regarding the plethora of  linguistic misusages which English teachers have bemoaned for a century. Many of these stem from words that sound similar but are spelled differently. These are correctly known as  homonyms,   prime examples of which are “their”, “there” and “they’re.”  Another, especially abused,  is “mute” in place of “moot,” as in “The point is mute.”  Aaaarrgh!

          There is another abuse, much more widespread, in fact heard at least once in most TV  newscasts,  press conferences, etc. This is the incorrect usage of   “I” and “myself” when  a simple “me “ will suffice.  It is heard from well educated persons who apparently think they are speaking more correct or “proper” English in their usage.

          An example would be “Mom will come and pick up you and I.”   No,  she won’t! She’ll pick up you and she’ll pick up me; she won’t pick up “I.”  Unfortunately, far too many would say,  “ Suzie and me will go for a walk” (or the true illiterati will say it even worse, “Me and Suzie, etc…”  In truth, of course,  Suzie will go for a walk and I will as well, not “me.”          

          Another twist on this is the usage as in “They gave the money to he and I” No, wrong in both pronouns. It was given to him and to me (or “us”, vice “we”)

          A subtler twist is those who seem to feel that “Myself” is somehow more formal than “me,” which, of course, it isn’t. There are cases when its usage is mandated, such as “I took it myself.” Nothing else works in that structure but “I took it” is sufficient.  Myself has always sounded a bit like multiple personalities. There’s me, and then there’s myself, begging to be freed.

          Of course, it’d be easier to know proper usage if we heard it consistently, but we’re bombarded daily with song lyrics and talking heads who misuse the language professionally. “Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas, he knows exactly ‘what the facts is’" Really? And just what is they?  

No comments:

Post a Comment