Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Katrina and Me

Phone rings:  (me) - "hello" (silence),"hello?" (more silence)   Just about to hang up, then I hear that little  'clicky,'  sound which tells me the telemarketer's auto dial system has picked up. As it's a lazy afternoon, I decide to see what fun there is to be had.

"Hello , Michael?" Right off the bat, I love it when someone obviously far  younger then I and who has never met me feels comfortable with calling a perfect stranger by their first name! (Of course, that's part of Cold Call Telephone Solicitation 101) , but as I said it's a lazy day...

"Yes?"

"Good afternoon,  Michael, this is Katrina, calling from the dealer processing department."

"Yes, what dealer? "
.......moment of dead air , as she looks at the script...

"I'm calling about your  2007  Saturn."

"You're calling from the Saturn dealership? "
another moment of silence, waay off script by now.... 

"Yes, and  I would like to offer you the opportunity  to purchase an extended warranty for your 2007 Saturn." (brightly optimistic tone, back on script)

"Katrina, Saturn has been out of business for  over five years"

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, but do you wish to purchase an extended warranty on yours?"

"Katrina, I haven't had that vehicle for 4 years."

"Oh, I see, so you don't have a car at all?"

"Yes, I have a car."

"Well, do you wish to purchase an extended warranty on the car you do have?" (at this point I'm considering awarding points for sheer endurance!)

"No, thanks, the car I do have has a ten year or 100,000 mile warranty already"


"Well that's very nice, thanks and have a blessed day" 

No comments:

Post a Comment