Saturday, December 8, 2012

New Rule #13: Dogspeak for beginners


New Rule #13:   New Dog owners must, for their and their new pet's benefit, become certified in dogspeak as soon as possible.

 

          As a long time dog owner of several breeds, from Buster the Bassett (sweet but definitely not a  brain surgeon) to brilliant and athletic Bart the Wonder Dog (Lab-Shepherd mix) I can attest to the fact that dogs communicate in many ways, audible and physically. Essentially all pet  owners, especially older ones whose children are gone, tend to  anthropomorphosize their pest, but none more than dog owners.

          Frequently, the meaning of the signal sent by the human  or the dog gets lost or mistranslated. In the interest of dogs everywhere and their new owners, I offer this brief dog to Human/English dictionary.


Action: licking master's face
          Assumed Meaning: "I love You"
           Probable meaning(s):  "Feed me", "I just shat indoors, don't beat me",  "I'm    about to s**t indoors, let me out", "Kiss me, but no tongues", "Wake up, it's 4:30 am for pete's sake" 

Action: attentive closeness while master cleans Cat litter pans
          Assumed meaning: "I love you and want to be close to you every moment"
          Probable meaning(s): "What?, You're throwing that away?", "never catch me crapping in a box!" "Oh Boy, Oh Boy- Tootsie Rolls!"

Action: Ears prick up, alert look

          Assumed meaning: "something important is about to happen"
          Probable meanings: "Something important to me is about to happen, these events could be: "The A/C just clicked on"," A bird farted in the front yard", "The UPS man is across the street", "Another dog is within 100 yards", "Another  dog in heat is within 3 miles", "I heard a can opener somewhere", "The cat just scratched in the litter box - lunchtime!"

Action: whining pitifully:
          Assumed meaning: "I'm in pain", "I'm frightened"
          Probable meaning(s): Both of the above are possible, though improbable , but must not be ignored. Alternate meanings include, but are not limited to: "I need to go out", "I needed to go out, but you were too busy, and it's too late now, jackass", "Feed me", "Pay attention to me", "I'm bored", "I just discovered how to make  this annoying sound", "I heard thunder fifteen miles away", "I'm horny", "does this collar make me look fat?" 

Action: dragging butt across the floor
             Assumed meaning: "Aren't I cute?", "Look I'm a friction toy"
          Probable meaning(s): "My Butt itches", I'm inaugurating the new carpet", "Remember those worms we thought I was rid of?" " I call this trick Butt surfing", "Look, Ma, two paws", "Hemorrhoid, schmemmorhoid"

Action: sniffing another dog's butt
          Assumed meaning: Identification ritual dating to the dawn of time
          Probable meaning(s): Same as above with several nuances, such as "Carl, you were at the vet's huh?", "Long time no smell", "Ahh,a  poodle, I love French perfume!", "Boy do I love that  new carpet smell!", "Dang Leon, try some Beano, won'tcha?"

 Action: Licking private parts
          Assumed meaning: ""Betcha wish you could do this!"
          Probable meaning(s):  "Betcha wish you could do this", "Trying to get the taste of kibble out of my mouth", "Does this make me weird?", "Don't judge me, bozo"

Action: refuses to eat own food
          Assumed meaning: "I'm not hungry" (warning - don't be fooled, dogs are always  hungry)
          Probable meaning(s): dog is deceased, "You eat 'chicken by products' and see how you like it!", "Beef  lips, my ass, I want steak", "I just 'cleaned' the litter box for ya", "Beggin' strip first, then lamb and rice", "Wheat gluten?? Do I look like a friggin' vegan to you?", "Just licked my butt, holdin' on to the taste"

Action: frantic barking for no apparent reason
          Assumed meaning: "Something momentous is afoot"
           Probable Meaning(s): "Feed me", "Gosh, I love making  this noise!", "The mailman is across the street", "Boy, It's great to be a dog", "The cat is on the table", "Timmy is:(in the well, in the cave, trapped by a fallen branch, threatened by a cougar"), "I just farted and scared myself (actually observed!)", "Why not, what else do I have to do?"

Action: Puts head on your knee or lap and looks lovingly into your eyes
          Assumed meaning: "I love you"
          Probable meaning: "I love you", "I have gas" 

No comments:

Post a Comment